Art Paws Reno Blog

Friday, November 12, 2010

Creative Canine Muses on the Capabilities of Compassion from a PetFolio Fan



TAILS OF COMPASSION
“Canine Capabilities – A Puppy’s Perspective”

By The Talented Patricia Rossi, NY

My name is Flanagan.  I am reddish brown in color, with floppy ears.  I am adorable…just adorable. Well that’s what these floppy ears hear all the time. 

My intent: To expound upon the compassionate capabilities of the canine.

First a little about my beloved pack.  My owners: A married couple, Patty and Ed.
I’ll never forget the day we met.  It was a winter afternoon, late in January 2007.  Ah, the chemistry. 

Initially, they were exuberant.  But then our happy home was shattered with the saddest of  news, Patty’s Mom unexpectantly died.  Patty sobbed uncontrollably. Ed comforted her.  Me, well I would snuggle next to her, reminiscent I hoped of that special stuffed animal from her childhood days.  I sensed her sorrow. I was never going to leave her side.

 I always knew that someday she would come to realize the innate canine ability to console and comfort.  And eventually she did. How? When?

Well, Patty enrolled me in pet therapy.
On some level, I suspect it was Patty’s way of proceeding through the grieving process.
You see, Patty and Ed were going to “pay it forward” and I would “play it forward.”

For sure, we canines “play it forward.”  We lower your blood pressure.  We give unconditional love.  The plan: Take adorable me to nursing homes, and spread goodwill.

First stop, a nursing facility, our eyes behold a sad looking couple. We walk over.  They smile.  Their mood brightens. A small crowd of feeble and frail individuals gather.  Laughter fills the room.  If only I could bark an old Glenn Miller tune.  What a showstopper.  I would bring down the house.

We continue on this journey, spreading kindness. One particular day Patty looks at me and winks.  The wink: Significant indeed.  Patty’s Mom would wink.  It was her Mother’s way of expressing, ‘I’m okay. I love you.”  I try my best to wink back.

Not easy. For now Patty will have to settle for a lick on the nose.  Well I’m off to spread canine compassion and to perfect my winking.

***
Patricia is a freelance author and attorney.  She lives in New York with her husband Ed and their rather remarkable puppy Flanagan.  PRossi@Cullenanddykman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment